13 Nov Vegan Pumpkin Pie
I do like pumpkin pie very much, so finding a recipe that works well was wonderful. The crust is definitely flaky, and surprisingly easy to roll out. Make sure that after you cook it you let it set because if it is still warm, the filling is more like a pudding texture than a pie texture. Then feel free to top it with whatever topping you like and enjoy!
For the Crust:
1 ½ cups flour
¼ tsp. salt
¼ tsp. sugar
½ cup + 1 Tbs. Shortening (ex. Earth’s Balance Vegan Butter)
¼ cup non-dairy milk
For the Filling:
2 ¾ cups pumpkin puree (1 ½ 15 oz. cans)
¼ cup maple syrup
¼ cup brown sugar
1/3 cup unsweetened plain almond milk
1 Tbs. oil
2 ½ Tbs. cornstarch
1 ¾ tsp pumpkin spice
¼ tsp. salt
To Make the Crust:
- Mix dry ingredients together. Cut shortening into pieces and mix/rub into flour mix until it looks like coarse meal. Stir in non-dairy milk. Knead until mixture holds together well. Wrap and refrigerate until firm.
- Take dough out of refrigerator and roll into a circle about 2 “ larger than the pie pan.
- Place dough into pie pan and roll edges under.
To Make the Filling:
- Heat oven to 350 F.
- Mix all ingredients together until smooth.
- Pour into pie pan.
- Bake for 1 hour.
- Let cool and then place in refrigerator to fully set (4-6 hours or overnight).