06 Nov Vegan Spicy Pumpkin Seed Brittle
When you would like to have something a bit different from the usual cookies, cakes, pies, etc. consider this recipe. Adding the spice to the recipe gives it a depth of taste and a tiny zing – quite delicious!
For the Brittle:
¾ cup of sugar
¼ cup of corn syrup
3 Tbs. water
3 Tbs. coconut oil (refined)
1 cup shelled pumpkin seeds (aka pepitas – raw or roasted both work)
¾ tsp baking soda
½ tsp salt (if the seeds are salted, skip this)
1/8 tsp cinnamon
1/8 tsp cayenne powder
To Make the Brittle:
– Prepare a baking sheet by lining it with parchment paper and coating with nonstick spray.
– In a saucepan, stir the sugar, corn syrup, and water together. Heat and stir until the sugar turns a very light golden brown color (around 300 F on a thermometer).
– Add the coconut oil and the seeds.
– Continue cooking and stirring until golden brown – this does not take long, so keep a close watch on it.
– Add the baking soda, salt (if using), cinnamon, and cayenne. The mixture will bubble and turn a different color. Stir until the mixture thickens.
– Pour the brittle onto the baking sheet. Spread the brittle into an even layer with a rubber spatula.
– Cool until hardened – about 1 hour.
– Break into pieces and store for up to one week in an airtight container. (Note: The coconut oil seemed to come out of the mixture while hot – I poured that out and discarded. Also, once the brittle was hardened, it seemed oily. Just blot with paper towels.)